|Posted on November 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM|
This project was a man's dress shirt, now it is a lady's dress shirt. I used a discarded classic men's dress shirt, a woman's shirt pattern (New Look #6952), and some bias binding for this tranformation.
Most of the time, dress shirts from my husband's closet are culled because of wear on the points of the collar. That was not the case this time, so it was a good opportunity to use the collar in the remake, or in this case you might say "reshape".
When planning the redesign, I often lay the pattern pieces out on the garment to see if they will fit. The first sleeve pattern is fuller and needs more fabric, however, the next pattern fits nicely.
The seams up the side of the bodice under the arm and back down the sleeves was cut to lay the "fabric" flat.
I folded the bodice front pattern piece on the center front line, and then pinned the front pattern piece to the back pattern piece at the shoulder, overlapping the seam allowances. Then, I carefully lined up the center front of the pattern with the center front of the shirt, preserving the collar, buttons and buttonholes. Then, I lined up the center backs as well. After pinning the pattern pieces on the shirt, I tried them on to make sure the neck and shoulders were going to be in the right spot.
As you can see, leaving the old sleeves attached allowed me to fit the bodice pieces on the "fabric".
I cut the new sleeves out of the old sleeves. I cut all the way down through the cuffs, which creates a seam in the cuff. I thought the classic collar would look nice with classic cuffs.
I added some ready made bias binding to highlight the cuffs and to draw attention away from the seam.
This cream shirt with thin grey and rose colored stripes will be a good staple for the upcoming cold weather. It can be worn with jackets, cardigans and pullover sweaters. I thought I could wear it with my Rosie vest too.